Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure, or LANAP (as it more commonly called), is revolutionizing today’s treatment of gum disease. Dr.Birdi is proud to offer the very latest in treatment options, especially when it provides such outstanding benefits for his patients. With LANAP, it is now possible to treat gum disease with virtually no pain, swelling or bleeding.
Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™) is a new therapy that allows for the effective treatment of periodontal disease with no removal of tissue.
LANAP™ is a gentle, conservative, non-invasive method of treating gum disease without cutting, suturing or removing tissue. Using a precision laser, Dr. Birdi is able to kill up to 99% of the disease causing bacteria in the periodontal pockets. Because there is no defense against the laser, the bacteria can not adapt and avoid elimination as with anti-biotic treatment.
There is no cutting or suturing as with traditional methods of treating periodontal disease. This provides a fast, virtually pain free procedure with that effectively treats periodontal disease.
Additionally, the precision of the laser allows Dr. Birdi to avoid removing significant tissue. This allows for a faster recovery and minimal loss of tooth and bone structure after the procedure.
THE LANAP PROCESS:
1. Laser treatment is usually completed over one to two visits to our office. (Traditional surgery requires two to four sessions of about one to two hours each, with subsequent visits for removing sutures.)
2. The light emitted by a fiber-optic tip selectively removes harmful bacteria and diseased tissue from the pocket by physically interacting with the bacteria and killing it by the absorption of laser energy.
3. Ultrasonic scalers, as small as the laser, are inserted into the pocket and use sound waves to break up hardened tartar and other debris from the surface of the tooth.
4. The laser is then inserted once more to remove any remaining diseased tissue at the bottom of the pocket. This last pass of the laser sterilizes the tissues and prepares the root surface to enable healthy gum attachment and aids in sealing the pocket closed.
5. The recovery is virtually pain-free and bloodless. Most of our patients find their recovery period to be less than 24 hours, so time from work is not lost.If you recently have been told that you have gum disease and need periodontal surgery, there is an alternative. Call our office to schedule a consultation and learn more about LANAP and if this solution is right for you.
If you recently have been told that you have gum disease and need periodontal surgery, there is an alternative. Call our office to schedule a consultation and learn more about LANAP and if this solution is right for you.
The Benefits of Using Lasers
Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™) is an amazing breakthrough in periodontal treatment. In appropriately selected cases, these benefits include:
There’s much less discomfort with LANAP™ LASER PERIODONTAL THERAPY than with standard surgical procedures — during and after the procedure. There is no cutting with scalpels or suturing.
LANAP™ LASER PERIODONTAL THERAPY takes LESS TIME than traditional surgery. All it takes is two 2-hour visits to the office and two follow up visits. Traditional surgery requires four sessions of about one hour each, with subsequent visits for suture removal and additional check-ups.
It gives better, longer-lasting results. In fact, 95% of treated patients remain stable after five years.
Many patients find that they have less than a 24 HOUR RECOVERY period, so you won’t lose time from work. Following traditional surgical procedures, recovery can take between to 2-4 weeks during which patients can experience pain and swelling and may require a liquid diet.
Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™) is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Coumadin or Cyclosporin.